In addition to the best practices described in How can I avoid chargebacks?, retail merchants should use the following best practices:
- Ensure the cardholder’s card is present.
- Ensure your POS device is in working order and free from dirt and debris.
- Void errors at the POS before batching out.
- Obtain a legible, signed, and imprinted transaction receipt if you are unable to swipe the card. Verify the information on the receipt matches the card.
- Obtain a signature or PIN on all transactions with exception of those that qualify for the “No signature/no PIN” program.
- Educate your staff on the procedures to eliminate POS fraud.
- When running multiple transactions, obtain a magnetic-swipe for each transaction and the cardholder’s signature on each individual transaction receipt.
Let us know if this answered your question. If not, please let us know why!
Tags: retail, chargeback process, dispute, defend chargeback, store, avoid chargebacks, stop chargebacks